Sunday, November 3, 2013

Oyster Happy Hour

Truly happy people seem to have an intuitive grasp of the fact that sustained happiness is not just about doing things that you like. It also requires growth and adventure beyond the boundaries of your comfort zone. Happy people, are simply put, curious. -Todd Kashdan and Robert Biswas-Diener




Last week I saw an advertisement that a local restaurant Nick and I both enjoy added an oyster bar. Neither of us had ever had oysters before. And to be honest,  neither of us were very sad about that. But I am in the pursuit of self discovery, and the consumption of oysters seem outside my comfort zone.  So we went, asked our waiters' advice and tried two he suggested. Dramatically, I learned that I do not like oysters. While also discovering that I am not refined enough to hide that I do not like oysters from the very hip, restaurant patrons that surrounded us. It was hilarious, disgusting, embarrassing and so much fun. It's hard to describe the feeling that comes up when you can be totally your uncool, unrefined, nerdy self and have your partner be right there with you. 

I am naturally a curious person and have been all of my life.  But I'm learning being curious alone is not enough.  Big or small, I need to take risks where I could possibly fail, be rejected or even briefly embarrassed.  This is not to say I haven't taken any risks.  I have.  But I also have had the privilege of knowing that my family and friends would catch me if I fell.  Until this past year many of the risks I've taken have been fairly calculated.  This year I both married my partner and started a business.  These have been really scary, good changes. Changes that even two years ago I did not believe I could/would ever do.  And the truth is that I have not been comfortable for quite a while, but my happiness is growing exponentially. 

When I saw that advertisement I knew I could eat some oysters.  And so we did.  Now I'm thinking about daily things I could do outside my comfort zone. I want to grow as a person, but I also want to grow with Nick. Luckily, he's a really good sport. I can't wait to see what we do next. 

What sort of challenges would be on your list? Do you find only doing the things you already know that you enjoy is keeping you from growing? Are there things on your list you could do with your partner?


XO,  M


\

1 comment:

  1. Wow, love it wish I could have seen your face hehe. I am so happy n pround of u for the growth u are experiencing and sharing here. I cant wait to experience some growth with u.

    ReplyDelete